Friday, September 3, 2010

A View From Above



My theme for today is looking at things from God's perspective, from above. Our group rode up in a canopy crane this morning to see the forest from above so it seems fitting! I have been blessed to have had some Godly conversations with my friends here lately and one specifically, Jenny, was talking about how she has been focusing on pleasing God and making sure that her actions, words and thoughts are in line with His first and foremost. One of my recent prayers has been that God would humble me, reveal to me my areas of weakness, and show my the direction that He is wanting me to go in my life. I think being humble is something that many of us struggle with and can often be one of my worst qualities. Jenny's reminder to focus on pleasing God and aligning my thoughts with His was an answered prayer in the sense that it challenged me to check my motives. Have I been searching to please God this week in the choices that I have made? Am I most concerned with His approval or the approval of myself or others? When God looks down on me from above what does He see?

During my quiet time reading Daniel and Matthew, God has continued to convict me about humility. Being a person of humility does not come easily. I have learned that it takes a lot of discipline and constant thought to remove the sin of pride from your life. I am far from being able to call myself humble, but am taking steps towards removing prideful areas in my life.
God's word speaks to humility quite often:

Matthew 23:11 "The greatest among you will be your servant. For whoever exalts himself will be humbled and whoever humbles himself will be exalted."

1 Peter 5:5 "Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time."

Zephaniah 2:3 "Seek the Lord, all you humble of the land, you who do what he commands. Seek righteousness, seek humility"

Proverbs 11:2 "When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom."

Daniel 10:12 "Since the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to them."

This last verse in Daniel gives me comfort in the fact that when you set your mind to understanding humility, God will hear you and respond to your willingness to seek after Him.



The trip to the top of the canopy was really a fun thing to do today. For the past two weeks we have been hiking almost every day in the rainforest and getting to see it from a birds eye view gave me a different perspective of the forest. It was clear that plants really do fight for sunlight and that there are not many holes where a tree has not grown to get any glimpse of light that it could. It rained this morning so we didn't get to see too many animals above the canopy but it was still a beautiful view of the city. It was also quite a contrast between the lush green forest and the city scape right beyond it.







Our group also had a fun and unexpected detour during our day. On the way back to Gamboa one of our professors thought it would be fun to stop at an anthropology museum. Once at the museum we realized that it wasn't all that we were hoping for but there was something way better! The Panamanian version of America's Got Talent was filming and holding auditions for their show. We got the chance to sit in on the filming as the contestants came in and preformed their talent. They had three judges, much like American Idol, and after the performance the crowd would either yell Afuera, which means OUT!, or pass them along to the next round. We saw everything from singers and old men doing the cha cha to bike stunts and instrumental pieces. It was a lot of fun and a good break from our everyday hiking routine! I was even on t.v.! The show was called Mi Gran Talent if anyone wants to check it out haha.

Well that's all for now, tomorrow we are heading into Casco Viejo to sight see and visit a fish market. I hope everyone has a great labor day weekend!

Until Next Time,
Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment