Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Hearts of Servants

God spoke to me tonight. He used Carmen, one of the women I am living with, to remind me and teach me so many things. It’s crazy what can come of one simple question. Today I came into the house after class at URACCAN University (yes I got my own taxi and made it there and back just fine!) and Carmen, Damaris, Gabi, and Merelyn were all there hanging out. They asked me if I was hungry and I sat down by myself to eat the usual quick dinner. Carmen came into the kitchen and I remember last night how my dad was curious about where the taxis that they have here are manufactured. I asked Carmen and she gave me a confused look and said she doesn’t pay that close attention to things like that. She then proceeded to tell me about drug trafficking that they have here in Nicaragua. She said that I should never take a black taxi or one with an African American man because, even though this is a stereotype, those are the ones who you generally have to look out for. She told me a scary story about when she was in a taxi and a man was asking her for money for drugs. Basically it was not a good situation. But anyway this opened up a can of worms and Carmen started sharing some of her life experiences with me.

Carmen is such a transparent and kind woman. She told me about how just a few years ago she found out that she had something wrong with her brain (keep in mind that it is kind of hard for me to understand her so I didn’t get every detail of her story). I’m not sure if it was a brain tumor or what it was but she had to have surgery for it. She has had two surgeries and everyone, doctors included, did not expect her to make it, but here she is today alive and well. And she gives all of the credit to God. I have not met very many women with faith like Carmen's. We spent the next two hours talking about the Lord, His goodness, His grace, and how He has worked here and in her life. Carmen has such faith in the Lord; she does not doubt His awesome power and truly believes that He can do anything. She believes and knows that she is here and alive because God chose to heal her. She shared with me some awesome things, true miracles that she has been a part of. One of those was a time when after her surgery her hand was not responding because of the nerves in her hand. She said that again, it was only something God could heal. So she and Merelyn (who I found out today is an amazing woman of faith and was a pastor in their church) prayed on the spot for her hand. Immediately Carmen felt a current through her arm and was healed. She told me this with tears running down her face. Throughout most of our conversation she was emotional and on the verge of tears if not crying. Her transparency was truly inspiring. We talked about how God is working in Nicaragua and how so many people don’t like Merelyn and Carmen's family because they stand for the Lord. Like any part of the world, when people make a stand for Christ it sets them apart and that makes others uncomfortable. This is exactly what is happening here in the lives of these women that I am living with. They are planting their feet in the word of God, holding on to Jesus and sharing the truth. Carmen is not afraid of death. She is so appreciative that God healed her and let her live, and she is making the most of every day with her family and friends. She seeks to make a difference in the lives of others around her. She does this through teaching, prayer, and little acts of kindness. She told me that every Saturday they pray in this house for their community and the world around them. I so wish that I could be a part of that prayer this weekend, but I will be in Wawashong with my class.

I learned so much from Carmen tonight. First, I was reminded that faith is believing, not seeing, and doubt does not come from God. She opened my eyes to the lives of people here. God is definitely doing big things all around the world. He blessed me and allowed me to live in this house with these amazing people for two weeks. And just a few days ago I was confused at why I was here and in distress about my living situation. Never doubt God’s plan. He has a plan and it is good, it is perfect. Follow His will for your life and don’t question that He is in control and carrying you. There is so much poverty here in Bluefields but because of the hardships that people experience they get to the real life issues without the distractions that we often face in the United States. People don’t worry about weight, they aren’t materialistic, they don’t have the time or energy to stress about the little things that we so often are consumed in. Life here is about surviving. Safety, shelter, and food are generally their main concerns. Obviously there are exceptions but overall the purpose of life is so much clearer here. I pray that God will help us all to have that Kingdom mindset. Stop worrying about the little things that aren’t eternal. How are your relationships with your family? Are you making the most out of every day that you have with them? What are the fruits in your life? Who needs to hear Jesus that you are ignoring? I need to be asking myself these questions daily. I serve an amazing God.

Love always, Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment