Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Finding Contentment




"But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that." - 1 Timothy 6:6-8

Contentment. When I really think about it this is something that I struggle with daily. This verse talks about being content with ONLY food and clothing. How many times during the day do I complain because I am uncomfortable or unhappy? Being here can be frustrating at times. There are a lot of things that take me out of my comfort zone. The classes we are taking, people I am with, food we are eating, and smells all around me just to name a few. To be honest there are many times where I find myself dwelling in discontentment. But why is this? We are reminded that we have food and clothing we should be content with that. Nicaragua has shown me once again how blessed my life in the United States is. As a woman in America I am so fortunate to have so many rights and to be respected. Women here do not have all of the same privileges. Every single time I walk out into the streets with my friends we are stared at, hollered at, viewed as objects of the affection of men. This is acceptable in their culture, but does it make it right? Absolutely not.

The poverty here is also something that has really been tugging on my heart strings and specifically how innocent children are forced into the equation. It is shocking that 1 out of every 23 children die before the age of 5 in Nicaragua. I also learned that 35% of the population suffer from malnutrition (mostly children), and 50% of residents have no access to basic medicine. There is an unemployment rate here of about 60% so children are being forced to work and sell things on the streets to help their family pay for their next meal. This became a reality for me today when I met a precious boy named Paul (pictured above) selling peanuts on the street. My friend Jazzmin spoke to him in spanish and we began to ask him about his life. Paul is only in first grade. He was out by himself while his mother and alcoholic father were at home doing who knows what. It is so hard for me to comprehend sending your 7 year old boy out by himself into a city to sell things. You could see the innocence in Paul's eyes that all children possess. He knows nothing different than his life in Nicaragua. He doesn't know that there are people in the United States who struggle with obesity and throw away their resources freely. It's so easy for us in the states to forget that there are people literally starving all over the world. Who knows what Paul's life will be like in the future but right now he is just a beautiful little boy, who loves soccer and is in the first grade trying to find money for his family by selling some peanuts. Something isn't right about that picture. I pray that we try to help the people in these countries and show them the joy, hope, and love of Christ. I don't know if it was his child-like innocence but Paul seemed very content with his life. He reminded me of one of the reasons why I love being around children so much. Though he may not have an easy life, he is content with what he has.

On a lighter note, our group decided to have a toga party tonight. Yes, we get that bored. So here are two pictures of our easily entertained selves in home-made togas.




Love always, Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment