Tuesday, September 28, 2010

First Impressions of Bluefields, Nicaragua




These are pictures of my room and bathroom in Merelyn's house. I will be fine here!


This morning I woke up in Corn Island, and tonight I’m going to bed in Bluefields. This study abroad adventure really is crazy. We are always moving, once you get comfortable or at least situated somewhere you move to the next place. It is really teaching me to lean on God to meet all of my needs. Without Him there is no way I could get through this roller coaster with a smile on my face, and there is never a time when He will not provide. Here in Bluefields I am staying with a woman named Merelyn Forbes. She teaches English in the Moravian Primary School. She seems like a nice woman who enjoys what she does. Also in the house living with me is her friend Carmen, Carmen’s daughter Damaris, and Damaris’ granddaughter Gabrielle who is six. I got to talk to Carmen tonight during dinner and she talked to me a lot about how frustrating it is for her, as a preschool teacher to have students who are not properly cared for by their parents. She talked to me about how it is so important to teach kids at a young age that they are loved and show them the value in learning. Carmen thinks it is important to teach two languages so that the students can expand their mind. She got emotional when she told me that when she was young her teacher said she was dumb and was not smart enough to learn English. She told me that she still thinks about what that teacher said today as tears tan down her cheeks and as a teacher she is very careful to watch what she says around her students. I was touched that she was willing to open up to me so quickly and shared something so personal.



Precious Gabriella.

The house I am staying in is definitely not the kind of house that I am used to but it is livable. I have my own room and bathroom as well as running water and electricity. Honestly, I still don’t feel informed about what I am doing. Things aren’t that organized here and we often go with the flow, which can be frustrating for me. Tomorrow I am going to the primary school to start my internship. I don’t know what this is going to involve except I am supposed to be teaching English. We have a “home base” area that Butler rented out for us where my group will meet most afternoons. This is supposed to have internet, although it wasn’t working today, but if you are reading this then the internet started to work ☺! Right now I am feeling a bit overwhelmed and anxious about how these two weeks are going to go. But I know that God has a plan and whatever happens is going to be fine. Even if I don’t love this time in Bluefields I will learn and take away something from it. At the very least I am going to understand what it is like to live in an area of poverty. I will also get a feel for a different school system, which will be a very good experience for me. I am sure it will help me appreciate the education system at home.
That’s all for now! Today was the first day of week six. We are getting close to half way done, how crazy.

Love always, Shelby

(written Sunday, September 26)

No comments:

Post a Comment