Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My Top Ten



So my best friend Shelbe is studying abroad in Spain and on her blog she has been making top ten lists. I really like the idea so I am going to borrow it for today's post.

Top Ten things I have learned from being in Panama:

1. I really like plain food and since I have a sensitive nose I'm pretty sure smells affect what I do and do not like to eat. I am getting slightly sick of smelly spicy meat that they make quite often.

2. I am a big mammal lover (bears, deer, sea-lions etc...). Not birds, not plants, and especially not ants!

3. Science is not my thing. Though I am learning to appreciate all the intricacies of God's creation, debating scientific issues does not interest me.

4. Don't look when panamanian men whistle and holler at you...it gets really awkward when you look and they just stare right back at you.

5. If you are planning on going outside don't try to look cute or put on any make-up, you will just sweat it off.

6. I understand now more than ever the value of my family's style of vacations. We move around constantly and experience everything we can. Staying in basically one place in Panama is starting to make me a little stir crazy.

7. I am more introverted than I thought in the fact that I need to recharge by being alone. Since we have basically no alone time here, putting in my headphones or reading a book has been my outlet.

8. I love summer and being warm but I like living in a place that has seasons. I am really going to miss fall this year!

9. People are people and no matter where they are from or who they are everyone wants to be loved and accepted.

10. I have an amazing support network at home. My family is awesome, my friends are so encouraging and I am so blessed that all of you are in my life!



Top Ten things God has been teaching me:

1. I need to tame my tongue. Filtering my words and thoughts is extremely important for so many reasons.
"If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight reign on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless." -James 1:26

2. God is always working on my behalf. I don't need to worry about Him deserting me or ignoring my prayers.
"I will cry to the God Most High, to God who accomplishes all things for me" -Psalm 57:2

3. Every day is a good day and I need to find joy in EVERY situation.
"Today is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it" -Psalm 118:24

4. There are no answers in science to God's creation and the reason that we are here. The answer is faith and the answer is Jesus.
"The heavens proclaim the glory of God. The skies display His craftsmanship." -Psalm 19:1

5. God is my strength. I am worthless and can do nothing without Him. He speaks to and blesses those who trust in Him.
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." -Psalm 73:26

6. I need to live to serve. I need to be more humble. I need to live for others and not myself.
"The greatest among you will be your servant, for whoever exalts himself will be humbled and whoever humbles himself will be exalted." -Matthew 23:11

7. The more wisdom that I gain the more hurt comes along with it.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge the more grief." -Ecclesiastes 1:18

8. I can't take days off from serving God and doing good. Good works don't get you into heaven but faith without deeds is dead.
"The one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those tho belong to the family of believers." -Galatians 6:8-10

9. Memorizing scripture and spending daily time with the Lord is the best way to keep me accountable and start my day off in the right mindset.
"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interest but to the interest of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus."
-Philippians 2:3-4

10. Complaining doesn't help anything. I need to take my frustrations and negative attitude to the Lord.
"Do everything without complaining or arguing so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars is the universe." -Philippians 2:14-15


Love, Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment