Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Taming the Tongue



Our words are arguably the most powerful things that we have control of. With our words we have the power to save a life or to take one. With our words we can encourage or wound someone. With our words we have the ability to bring peace or start a war. Our words reveal who we are, our true selves. Just as it says in Matthew 12:34 "For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks." We are our words.

Throughout these past six weeks the Lord has been revealing to me my weakness in taming my tongue. My nature is to share my opinion and be open with my feelings. If you ask, and often if you don't, I will tell you how I am feeling, why I am feeling this, and what is going well or bothering me. I am not afraid to stand up for what I believe in or speak up for Jesus, my Savior. Though I know God smiles upon His children defending His name, He also hates it when we talk too much and complain, gossip, slander, lie, and so on. This area is one of my worst. It is such a struggle for me to hold my tongue in times of frustration and anger. But, the Bible has SO much to say about this issue of words, controlling your tongue, and monitoring what comes out of your mouth.

Here is some scripture that I have been reminded of lately:

Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. For, “Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech.” -1 Peter 3:9,10

If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. –1 Peter 4:11

Don’t grumble against each other, brothers, or you will be judged. –James 5:9

Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell….With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. –James 3:5-6, 9-10

But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgement for every careless worrd they have spoken. -Matthew 12:36

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. –Ephesians 4:29

A few Proverbs:
The tongue of the righteous is choice silver, but the heart of the wicket is of little value. –Proverbs 10:21
The mouth of the righteous brings forth wisdom, but a perverse tongue will be cut out. –Proverbs 10:31
With his mouth the godless destroys his neighbor, but through knowledge the righteous escape. –Proverbs 11:9
From the fruit of his lips a man is filled with good things as surely as the work of his hands reward him. –Proverbs 12:14
The Lord detests lying lips, but he delights in men who are truthful. –Proverbs 12:22
He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin. –Proverbs 13:3
The tongue is the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit. -Proverbs 18:21

Clearly what we say and how we say it is very important to God. We, as Christians, are living examples of Christ and His character. James really convicts me and causes me to think when it says out of the same mouth we praise and curse. My mouth is one of the main tools that I use for praising God. I sing to Him, pray to Him, and share His word to others. And out of the same mouth I complain about things, make fun of people, and talk badly about those who have hurt me. That is not ok at all. But how do I change something that is so deeply a part of how I function? In the past when I have held things it I have learned that it just makes it build up and eventually I explode. But I know I need to take my feelings to Jesus. I know that if I truly seek a transformation in this area that He will help me to tame my tongue little by little. I am going to make a daily effort from now on to think before I speak and run to the Lord instead of others with my frustrations and feelings.

One final note. Today I was listening to the song I Will Go, by Starfield which was was the inspiration of the title of my blog and reminded me of the overall theme of my trip. I titled this blog before I left and before I really had any idea what I was getting into. But now listening to the lyrics it is a bit spooky how much it applies to what I have been experiencing and going through.
The song says:
I will go. I will go, I will go. Lord send me to the world, to the lost, to the poor and hungry. Take everything I am. I'm clay within your hands. I will go send me.
Let me not be blind with privilege. Give me eyes to see the pain. Let the mercy You've poured out on me not be spent on me in vain. Let this life be used for change.
I want to live for You, go where You lead me. I want to follow You.

That is just what He did. He sent me into the world to see the lost, poor and hungry. To the second poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere. To live among the poverty and feel what people here feel everyday. I pray that everything that I am seeing is not just something that I view as a memory, but that I take what I have learned and apply it to my life and do something. I don't know what that something is yet but I pray that God will mold that plan and show me what His great and perfect will is for my life.

Tomorrow is my last day in Bluefields and I am excited and ready to move on from Nicaragua soon. It has been a really challenging and testing time for me here. I am glad that I went through it but happy to head to Guatemala on Sunday. There we will have a few free days in Antigua, continue with our GHS class and then head to Mexico where we finish the semester. Time is moving slow but also flying. Today marked our half way point for the semester.

Thanks as always to everyone for your prayers and encouragement. God has blessed me with an amazing support network. I love you all.

Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment