Saturday, October 23, 2010

In My Head and In My Heart



During my GHS class over the past four weeks I have learned so much, been humbled, changed my perspective on things, and felt extremely moved. In class yesterday we talked about how we feel about certain issues in our head and then in our heart I really liked thinking about things that way so I am going to continue to write with that perspective in mind. When we started our GHS journey we were in Managua, Nicaragua. It is crazy to think back on those two weeks when I couldn’t even define sustainable development. I remember thinking there is no way I can write a paper on this, I don’t understand it at all! Now, 6 weeks later, I feel like I grasp sustainable development much better. I also see the importance of sustainability and how it affects our whole world.

In my head it seems overwhelming and daunting to think of all of the unsustainable things that are happing in the world, and Central America specifically. The free trade zone, geothermal energy plant, and large corporations like coke and Wal-Mart, just to name a few. Because of these places many people living in Central America are loosing jobs, barely surviving, robbing their children of their childhood to send them begging on the streets, working with no benefits and horrible conditions, and much more. In my head I wonder how we got to this place where there is such an imbalance in the world. In my heart it tears me apart to see what many people in Central America are living like. I have never been so humbled in my life to see all of the ways God has blessed me. It’s frustrating that there is so much ignorance in the world. For example, this weekend/week has been homecoming at Butler. Don’t get me wrong, homecoming is a fun event, but it is ridiculous how much value people put on little things like winning or loosing just to get bragging rights. I realize that it may seem like a big deal at the time but it doesn’t even come close to the problems that I have seen here. Children are starving, people can’t make ends meet, there is so much sadness, pain, and inequality, and we, as the privileged American’s, get caught up in the little things like which house is the best on campus. That is not meant to bash anyone but hopefully those people will rethink their priorities and see the bigger picture in the world. It’s hard to blame American’s though because most of us just don’t know what is going on in the world. I think I have learned form being here that as a citizen from the United States I need to pay more attention to worldly issues and step outside of my comfortable bubble. I know I will never be able to forget what I learned here and will always have a special place in my heart for Central Americans.

There are some hopeful things going on here though, and I am excited and thankful for those. Earth University, where indigenous people can come and get trained in whatever skill they want is a really hopeful place. It’s almost completely sustainable and gives me hope for the future of Mexico. There is always hope in a new tomorrow. The biggest hope is that we are not going to be on this earth forever and someday, many of us will be living in paradise with our Savior. But in the meantime, I hope progress can be made in our world so that there is a better economic balance and the poorer people can live happier and better lives.

Today we woke up at 5:30, flew to Mexico city, sat in the airport for 5 hours and flew to Oaxaca (pronounced wa-ha-ka). The hotel is pretty and we met our new professor. Tomorrow we are visiting a museum and getting a walking tour. Monday is a free day and tuesday we will start class. Only 29 days of the trip left!! Time is flying!

Love always, Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment