Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Guatemala's Been Good to Me



Sunday began the next leg of our adventure - Guatemala! We spend a week here and are currently in Antigua enjoying three free days in the beautiful city. I really love it here. There are a lot of fun shops, restaurants, coffee and even bagel places. It is very touristy here but I don't min at all, I need a little taste of home right now. We flew in on Sunday and had an orientation that included a pasta dinner with the group at a local pizza place. Yesterday Jenny, Meen, Jazzmin and I slept in (which was so nice and much needed). We got ready and actually did our hair and put on a cute outfit, so exciting haha! We were really craving American food so we headed to subway and had an early lunch there, yum! We spent the rest of the afternoon walking around the city, popping our heads in and out of stores, and enjoying the amazing fall weather. The food is great here and we had frozen yogurt for a snack which was great. After shopping we came back to the hotel for a bit, relaxed and later headed to dinner. We didn't know what we wanted but found a really fun local mexican restaurant called tacontento (how creative). It really did make me feel content! We ordered a special that came with chips and many salsas to split, a large plate of every kind of fajita topping you could want, tortillas, and horchata (a really good cinnamon drink). It was only 5 dollars each and we all left full and satisfied. Monday was a fun and refreshing day.





Today was less relaxing but equally exciting. This morning the majority of our group decided to go on a hike up a volcano that was about an hour away. The hotel set up the tour for us and drove us there. The hike was pretty strenuous. I think the elevation was 2300 ft and it was a very steep 3 hour hike up to the peak of the volcano. It was so worth it once we got to the top though! The views were breathtaking and once again made me step back in awe of the Lord's creation. After we made it to the peak we hiked over the lava, much like I did in Hawaii a few years ago. The hike reminded me of how many awesome opportunities I have had in my travel with my family. I'll never forget our night time adventure to see the flowing lava in Hawaii or our three day hike at 14,500 ft in the Andes mountains in Peru. Today was another great day to add to my belt of awesome experiences. I am so blessed!





Tomorrow is our last free day before we head to another city in Guatemala and resume our GHS class. Time will fly here and soon we will be off to Mexico already. I'm exciting to be on the downhill part of this study abroad experience but taking things day by day and enjoying all that I am learning.

That's all for now. Have a great week everyone!

Love, Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment