Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Few Thoughts


Today is day 67, 25 days left...not like I'm counting down or anything :)

Quick update on what we have been up to in the past few days. I'm in Oaxaca, Mexico now until Saturday when we will travel to Cuernavaca where we will be for the rest of our trip (besides a 3 day break in Mexico City). The class I am taking now is the Mexican Revolution with a new professor. I like her so far. She is much more aware of our needs and is willing to mold things around us. We have a TON of reading though, and I'm not sure what our final paper is about, but at least the class is only for two weeks!



Since I have been here I have visited a Museum, seen ancient ruins at Monte Alban, tried grasshoppers, and discussed the meaning of Indigenismo. Again, I struggle with being interested in the material, but I am getting better at trying to find something that I enjoy out of it. One of the hard parts about this trip is the way that the classes are set up. I like that we have them in blocks but it is hard to end one and then start another, end that one and find the energy to start again.



Honestly, I am really ready to go home. It is an intentional effort that I have to make everyday to find the joy and be present here. God is teaching me so much through this though!! It's hard to really see what the overall purpose is as I experience it, but I know when I go home I am going to be able to see the fruit of this journey. I have never been pushed out of my comfort zone for such a long period of time.

I was reading Psalm 5 during my quiet time a few days ago and came across this verse.
"In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice;
in the morning I lay my requests before you
and wait in expectation." Psalm 5:3

I can really relate to this verse and found it comforting. Every morning I wake up and present my requests to God, He hears me and responds lovingly. I have been trying to focus on rejoicing in the pain and suffering that I often feel here. Like it says in 1 Peter 4:12-14, 16
"Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice as you share Christ's sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed. If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you.
Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in that name."

God has me here for a reason. He allows me to breathe every day and be in this place. It may not be where I want to be, but it's not about me it's about Him. I am focusing on rejoicing in everything happening here, the good and the bad, because when I allow it, the Lord is making me more and more like Christ every day. I don't want to get comfortable when I get back home. I want to continue to be stretched and to grow. I want to be used to further the Kingdom. I want to live a life that makes others ask why? Why are you so forgiving? Why so loving? Why are you the way that you are? I hope that God continues to break me of my sinful ways and grow me into the Christ follower that God knows I can be.

Love always, Shelby

1 comment:

  1. Shelby!
    I love reading about your travels and how much you are growing and seeking God in all that you are experiencing. It is such a blessing to know you and be encouraged by you! I am praying for you dear--enjoy your last 25 days the trip will be over before you know it.
    Love you! ITB Tamara

    ReplyDelete