Monday, November 1, 2010

Psalm 15



LORD, who may dwell in your sanctuary?
Who may live on your holy hill?

He whose walk is blameless
and who does what is righteous,
who speaks the truth from his heart
and has no slander on his tongue,
who does his neighbor no wrong
and casts no slur on his fellowman,
who despises a vile man
but honors those who fear the LORD,
who keeps his oath
even when it hurts,
who lends his money without usury
and does not accept a bribe against the innocent.

He who does these things
will never be shaken.

I read this psalm recently and it really hit me hard. There is so much wisdom in this passage and clear direction of how we are to live. I really love reading Psalms because it is so applicable today but was written so long ago. David writes that to dwell in the Lord’s sanctuary and to live in true company with him we must be blameless and do what is righteous. These verses yet again emphasize the importance of words. This overall theme of watching what I say is something God has really been teaching me lately. I’ve learned that a significant part of being blameless comes from being truthful, holding your tongue in frustration, and as it says keeping your oath even when it hurts. One of the things that separates Christians from the world is how we speak. When we encourage others, refrain from slander, gossip and bad language, keep our word and are truthful it really sets us apart. But I fear that being careless with our words is something that so many of us fall into. I especially think for girls, slander and gossip is one that many of us struggle with. It frustrates me that I so easily give in to the temptation of talking about others in a gossipy way. I really think this is one of Satan’s best ways for breaking down friendships and creating tension and anger amongst friends. This is something that I truly want to fight against.

Love always, Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment