Monday, August 23, 2010

Mercy Comes With the Morning

Well I'm here. Gamboa, Panama. It's been one full day and I have already experienced some extreme highs and lows. I have always been the type of person that thrives in comfort. Like most, I like to know that I am loved and cared for. Meaningful relationships are really important to me and when I don't have that it scares the heck out of me. Obviously, when you are meeting a whole new group of people those relationships aren't going to be established yet. Needless to say, I was a bit overwhelmed with the fact that I was in a completely new place, a different country, surrounded by unfamiliar faces, and unaware of the schedule or flow of our trip. However, the Lord is so faithful and continues to provide for me through it all. I am humbled to be able to experience this kind of challenge so that I may be more like Jesus. He has already answered my prayers for encouragement and knowing that everything will be alright. I really do have amazing friends and family. Whenever I am in need of some love or just a listening ear they are always there to pick me up and be my rock.

I have been learning lately to take things one day at a time and dwell in the new hope and beginning that each morning brings. On the plane here as I was seeking some hope and direction from God I was listening to Brooke Fraser and this song really stuck out to me. She sings:

Speak to me in the light of the dawn
Mercy comes with the morning
I will sigh and with all creation groan
as I wait for hope to come for me

When I woke up this morning that was exactly how I felt. As I wrote in my prayer journal in the light of a new day I felt refreshed and appreciative of God's mercy and creation. I had a peace about being abroad that everything was going to be ok and hope in the Lord's promises and faithfulness. I still would not say that I am completely at ease or comfortable yet, but I know that will come with time.

So anyway, enough about how I am feeling. I'll share some of the things I have done and what it's like here in Panama. We are staying at STRI (smithsonian tropical research institute). It's air conditioned (thank goodness) and actually a pretty nice place. I have my own bed and closet area in a large room with six other girls. We have our bathroom, kitchen, rooms, and living area all in the same building which is nice as well.







This morning we had an orientation to the three weeks that we are here and went through our itinerary. It will definitely be an outdoorsy part of our adventure but after being at camp for six weeks sweating is like breathing to me. The course we are taking is Environmental Biology taught by Dr. Salsbury. This morning we took a walking tour of Gamboa and got the lay of the land. It is very tropical but also has a neighborhood feeling to it. We had a break for lunch and I squeezed a much needed nap into that time. Then we were off to our more strenuous hike of the day up to a beautiful, above the canopy view of the area. It was a hot and sweaty and very steep hike but it only took us about an hour to get to the top. Dr. S. said the tourists usually take a gondola up but we got to do it the fun local way. The bugs really aren't too bad yet and I'm hoping it stays that way. At the top of the viewing area we got to see the Panama canal and gorgeous views of Gamboa. It was fun to see it from a bird's eye view. Tomorrow we have some lectures and another forest hike planned.
Thanks to everyone who has been praying for me and showing your love from miles away, I really appreciate it. I'll be thinking about you guys and praying for you as well :)

Love,
Shelby





No comments:

Post a Comment